Kirby Hill House
HISTORY OF KIRBY-HILL HOUSE
A treasure waiting to be discovered
deep in the heart of the Big Thicket
The Kirby-Hill House was built in 1902 by James L. Kirby, older brother and business partner of the more famous John Henry Kirby. The Kirby family established a lumber empire which dominated the economy of this region for almost 100 years.
The house features wrap-around porches with forty-eight columns, four fireplaces, and eight rooms that all open onto the porch through eight-foot, double-sash windows.
The most outstanding architectural features include the curved walls and oval grand staircase. Much of the furniture and china is original to the house.
On the grounds to the right of the mansion is a state champion Crepe Myrtle tree that is over 100 years old.
On the left side of the property is a relocated church building which is the home of the Hardin County Genealogical Society.
The foundation also has many of the pictures, papers, and artifacts belonging to the family dating back to 1832. [Below are some photos of family members at the house in the last century. Perhaps more about “community” or non-family??]
The Kirby-Hill House is located in Kountze, Texas, next door to the Kountze Public Library, and one block north of the Hardin County Courthouse.
Scroll down to view a few pictures of the history of this grand old house.